The following artifacts and photographs all pertain to one of the indigenous cultures of North America. Study each artifact and photograph closely and draw some conclusions about this group. Below are some guiding questions for you to think about in order to get you started on thinking like a true anthropologist.
For each of the artifacts below, think about the following:
- What is this object?
- What do you think it is made of?
- What might this object have been used for?
Artifacts (click to enlarge)
Based on all of the artifacts you see so far, what are some conclusions you can make about this society? For example:
- What type of environment did they live in?
- How did they acquire food?
- What types of food might they have eaten?
Be sure to justify your inferences with specific reasons!
Study each photograph carefully and think about the following questions:
- What is the photograph showing you?
- What might these pictures tell you about the roles of men and women in this society?