Listed below are the suggested steps that you should take as your work through your independent writing project.
1. Choose the GENRE for your project. (Click here for possible genre ideas.)
2. BRAINSTORM to help you decide on the TOPIC/SUBJECT of your project.
- What is something/someone that is extremely important to you?
- What topic/issue do you feel like you want or need to share with others?
3. COLLECT & GATHER information and ORGANIZE/OUTLINE. This could look different depending on what genre you are doing. For example, this step in the writing process could include:
- Finding / reading model texts to get ideas and good examples of what good writing looks like in your chosen genre. (Click here to get a list of strong model texts to read)
- Doing some research on your topic (e.g. for informational booklets, historical fiction)
- Doing interviews (e.g. for newspaper & magazine articles, guidebooks, biographies)
- Creating character maps and outlining literary elements (e.g. for ANY fiction piece, including plays, graphic novels, short stories, novels, personal narratives, etc.)
- Storyboarding (e.g. for graphic novels)
- Creating a table of contents / list of categories (e.g. for informational booklets, guidebooks)
- Gathering / taking pictures (e.g. for cookbooks, scrapbooks, newspaper/magazine articles)
- Doing research on specific writing techniques common to the genre (e.g. fiction, poetry, review writing, etc.)
4. DRAFT your first version.
5. Receive FEEDBACK from other writers.
6. REVISE based on feedback and reflection.
7. Receive MORE FEEDBACK from other writers.
8. REPEAT Step 8 and Step 9 until you are fully pleased with your work!
9. REFLECT on your process and on your growth as a writer in a written artist statement.
10. PUBLISH your work proudly to the wider public! :)